Chickpea, Fonio, And Sweet Potato Tacos are the ultimate plant-based fusion of vibrant flavors, textures, and wholesome ingredients that will leave you craving more!
Every bite is bursting with amazing flavors, thanks to the creaminess of the chickpeas, the nuttiness of fonio, and the natural sweetness of the roasted sweet potatoes.
Made tasty with an exotic Ethiopian berbere spice blend and a drizzle of refreshing mint yogurt sauce, these tacos are nothing like you’ve ever had before!
You’re definitely going to love this easy potato taco recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Potato Taco Recipe
- Plant-based delight: Perfect for vegans, vegetarians, and even self-proclaimed carnivores, these tacos prove that meat-free meals can be just as satisfying and flavorful.
- Wholesome goodness: Packed with nutrient-rich ingredients like chickpeas, fonio, and sweet potatoes, these tacos are not only delicious but also incredibly healthy.
- Easy to make: Whip up these tacos in no time for a quick and convenient meal bursting with bold flavors.
- Flavor explosion: The Berbere spice blend adds a symphony of flavors to your tacos – spicy, smoky, and aromatic.
For the tacos
- Chickpeas: We used canned chickpeas for this. Make sure to rinse them to reduce the sodium level.
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil: You can substitute it with any neutral oil.
- Maple syrup
- Berbere spice blend: You can use store-bought or make your own (recipe below).
- Leek: Adds a fragrance to the tacos.
- Fonio: You can substitute this with quinoa if desired.
- Tomato paste
- Red onion
For the mint yogurt sauce
- Unsweetened yogurt (non-dairy): Make sure to use a non-dairy version to keep it plant-based.
- Lemon juice
- Mint leaves
For the berbere spice blend (if making your own)
- Smoked paprika
- Ground chili
- Garlic powder
- Ground ginger
- Ground coriander
- Ground fenugreek
- Ground cardamom
- Ground cumin
- Ground cinnamon
- Dried basil
How To Make Chickpea, Fonio, And Sweet Potato Tacos
Preheat the oven.
Roast sweet potatoes and chickpeas.
Sauté leek and cook fonio.
Make the mint yogurt sauce.
Assemble the tacos.
Serve and enjoy!
- 15 oz canned chickpeas, fully drained and rinsed
- 2 cups sweet potato, diced (1 small sweet potato)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2½ tsp berbere spice blend, divided (see notes for recipe to make your own)
- 1 leek, minced
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup fonio
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 small tortillas
- ½ small red onion, chopped
Mint Yogurt Sauce
- ⅓ cup unsweetened yogurt (non-dairy)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 mint leaves, minced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add chickpeas, sweet potatoes, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and 1 teaspoon of berbere spice blend to a mixing bowl and toss well to combine. Transfer to the prepared sheet pan in a single layer and roast for around 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add leek and sauté for a few minutes until softened.
- Add water, fonio, tomato paste, and remaining 1½ teaspoons of berbere spice blend to the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil then lower the heat to a low simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and set aside for around 5 minutes to let the fonio absorb the water.
- Make the mint yogurt sauce by combining all the ingredients together. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Warm tortillas in a skillet. Assemble tacos by filling each tortilla with fonio mixture, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas. Top with chopped onions and sprinkle a little of the blended spice. Drizzle mint yogurt sauce and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe for Berbere Spice Blend
3 tbsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp ground chili
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground fenugreek
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 630mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 10gSugar: 12gProtein: 13g
Nutrition information is only an estimate and can vary depending on ingredients used.
We’ve got more wonderful potato taco recipes so make sure to check them out here!
If you’ve tried this, let us know in the comments below!
Share on your favorite social media platform and tag us @GloriousRecipes – we can’t wait to see what you have made!